Thursday, June 19, 2008

seattle changes people

i've noticed that i've given up quite a few things since i moved to seattle.  besides the obvious comforts like money and any sense of self worth, i have given up the following:

1. using plastic bags at the supermarket.  i now use my GIANT green tote from the gap when i purchase things like pistachios and bean and cheese burritos from 7-11.  is this change for the best?  maybe for the environment, but only time will tell if it's good for ME.  'do you want a plastic bag for this?'  'oh no. i'll use my TOTE! WINK'
2. littering.  this one kind of shocked me.  i loved trashing the earth when i was in college--it made me feel like i was leaving a legacy, something my adopted asian children would see when THEY were older.  but then i realized i would never have children because i could never adopt an asian (ling is HIDEOUS name) and there probably wouldn't even be any asians to adopt if i kept throwing my empty diet coke cups and cig butts on the ground.  i've finally realized that i'm not in school anymore and that winona was right: reality bites.
3. diet coke.  my dad told me if i wanted to lose a few pounds i'd give it up and start drinking more water.  he was right, too. blah.
4. working out.  i kind of lost all my ambition when i realized that i wouldn't really be seeing anyone this summer and if my bed and old episodes of sex and the city can live with my huge gut and back fat, then so can i.

tomorrow i'm going to the molly brown temp agency to take typing and filing tests and interview for potential jobs that will use and throw away my young body after 2 weeks.  it could be fun.  and i need money, especially since i was just told that my ENTIRE summer income is equal to or less than that of one recent graduate's first-week paycheck. wish me luck.

xx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:)
I didn't know you were in Seattle. I've been told to move out there because rain and fog puts me in a sunshiney mood.

I love the blog.